It may have cost a packet and feel like heaven when applied to the face, but your new ‘wonder’ serum could be under-performing – or not performing at all – if you’re making the same mistake as thousands of other women.
In fact, you could be wasting a small fortune every year.
The truth is, skin serums work best if applied in a certain way. And we’re not talking about how you massage them into the skin.
For optimal results, serums should be applied as part of a routine that follows a strict pecking order.
Never Follow A Skin Care Routine?
We conducted a poll*, asking women about their skin care habits.
Of those who responded, 16.7 per cent said they never follow a routine. The same number of respondents said they ‘sometimes’ do.
More than 66 per cent claimed to follow a routine religiously. But, even these women could be partly wasting their time – and money – because it is not what you do, it is the order in which you do it. (Not wishing to sound too much like a Bananarama song!)
The Right Way To Apply Face Serum
Here’s the correct way to apply serum:
- First cleanse and dry the face
- When your skin is dry, use a toner (it does not have to be the same brand as the cleanser). Gently rub over the face and neck using a soft cotton pad
- While the face is still slightly damp, APPLY THE SERUM
- Give the serum a chance to deeply penetrate the skin. Wait five to ten minutes to ensure it is fully absorbed before finishing your routine…
- Lock in the benefits of the serum by applying a moisturiser over the top
And there you have it… Serums work best if they are ‘sealed’ with a good day or night cream. We recommend using a serum before bed for best results.
Some affordable suggestions, if you are looking to try a new serum.
All prices correct at the time of publishing.
Further reading: Best Buy Skin Care Gift Sets – Regime Skin Care
** Twitter, January 2021