Life can get in the way of sticking to a skin care routine. I know only too well how easy it is to kick something into touch just because you are tired or, quite simply, bored stiff with a regime.
Faffing around with God-knows how many products and remembering how to use them in the right order can be mind-numbing, especially at night.
‘I’ll do it tomorrow’ is something we have all told ourselves. If you are anything like me, ‘tomorrow’ can quickly slip into a week, a month… even years!
But looking in the mirror after an extended hiatus can be a shocker. The grim realisation that you have ignored your skin for too long has a knack of happening at the very moment you desperately want to look your best.
I have realised, the hard way, that the only way to properly slow the ageing process is to keep on top your ‘maintenance’ programme.
If you are stuck in a rut, feel you’ve lost interest, or simply ‘can’t be bothered’, here are my 20 easy ways to get back on track.
20 Skin Care Ideas That Motivate
- Reduce the number of steps in your regime to encourage yourself to stick to it. Try a simple 3-step ‘cleanse, serum, night cream‘ routine. Quick and easy!
- Replace an expensive serum with a Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid one – a lot cheaper, so you are more likely to replace it when the serum runs out.
- Get yourself ready for bed with a relaxing hot cloth cleansing treatment. It doesn’t have to be expensive.
- Invest in washable makeup remover pads. They are great if you use micellar water or a cream cleanser. You will never run out and they are super-easy to keep hygienically clean, even at low machine temperatures.
- If your day cream is letting you down, try one with a high sun protection factor. Aim for one that has 30 SPF.
- Check your night cream is up to the job. Cast your eyes over the ingredients and, if you can’t see hyaluronic acid or emollients, replace it.
- Declutter! Get rid of old, out of date products. Having to wade through a mound of bottles, tubes and jars can be really off-putting.
- Be a creature of routine. Set a time for your night-time regime and stick to it. As well as doing your skin a world of good, this could actually help you sleep better.
- Incorporate a monthly skin peel or gommage to give your skin a real boost. This type of treatment will gently remove dead skin cells and leave your skin looking more toned, firmer and glowing. A great way to keep your routine going!
- If you are bored, treat yourself to a new product or skin care set. You will be surprised how something new can reawaken an interest in taking care of how you look.
- Don’t let your regime fall flat… Always ensure you apply serum before your night cream to boost its effectiveness. Locking in the benefits of a serum is crucial.
- Go for gold – try a 24k or mineral face mask once a week.
- Give some simple massage techniques a go when applying serum – gentle movements outwards and upwards. This will help with drainage and also relax you.
- Aim for smooth… Use a delicious lip scrub followed by balm, so your mouth is not overlooked.
- Boost your energy levels and flush out toxins by drinking more water. This is the cheapest and quickest way to get clearer skin.
- Reduce stress in your life. Take an hour out to pamper yourself. Enjoy a long bath, a bit of yoga or a great film.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Need some help? See our feature on how to overcome sleep problems – Insomnia: The Impact Of Sleep Deprivation On The Face – Regime Skin Care
- Keep on top of new trends, so you don’t miss out and nurture your motivation!
- Organise your skin care products so they are easily accessible and can’t be forgotten – or ignored.
- If you are staying in most of the time because of the pandemic, consider taking a multi-vitamin or vitamin D supplement.
There! Plenty of ideas to get you re-started. Here’s a bonus one…
Why not take part in our challenge to look 5 years younger in just a week? You don’t have to buy any products; you’ve probably already got everything you will need. Find out more in the ink below.
Let me know how you get on.